Holy Guacamole Burgers

Hey, look at me, no pesto. Can you tell I'm a foodie? Well, as a lot of foodies, I'm addicted to The Food Network, and I got this idea from Rachel Ray's Moo Shu Pork Pockets. When I made those, my husband and I really enjoyed them, and I got to thinking about all kinds of international burgers. The following are my southwest themed burgers, and I'm still working on an Italian burger with Italian sausage, and a Greek burger with lamb served in a pita. Yep, I got ideas... Anyway, I have made these several times, and they've been a big hit.  You could totally do "semi homemade" with store bought guacamole, and even make smaller burgers and smaller tortillas for sliders. 

Holy Guacamole Burgers
1.5 pounds ground beef
1 heaping tablespoon taco seasoning (I used Old El Paso 40% less sodium)
4 slices bacon, cooked and cut in half
2 slices pepper jack cheese
2 slices chipotle cheddar cheese (Sargento makes the chipotle cheddar deli slices, but if you can’t find that, sharp cheddar cheese works well too)
8 grape tomatoes chopped (I use grape tomatoes when summer, garden tomatoes are not available, if you can get a good tomato, one small or ½ large would be great)
¼ red onion finely chopped
6 slices jarred jalapenos finely chopped, or 1 small, fresh jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
4 burrito size tortillas
Shredded lettuce

Guacamole
1 avocado peeled, pitted, and mashed
1/3 of a lime, juiced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped onion
6 grape tomatoes finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions for Guacamole:
Add lime juice, chopped cilantro, onion, tomatoes, salt and pepper to mashed avocado and mix together.

Directions for burgers:
Chop and mix tomatoes, onion and jalapenos.
Mix ground beef with taco seasoning, and form into 4 burgers. Grill burgers to desired doneness. Slice cheese slices in half, and put half pepper jack slices on each tortilla. Top pepper jack cheese with slice of cooked bacon cut in half. Top bacon with tomato, onion, jalapeno mixture. Place a burger on the tomato mixture, then top each burger with 1 Tablespoon of guacamole and ½ slice chipotle cheddar or sharp cheddar. Top with shredded lettuce. Fold in sides of tortilla to make a pocket. Brown both sides of quesadilla burger for about 2 minutes each, slice in half and serve.

Comments